The Hearing Loss Association of Florida, Inc. (HLAA-FL) serves the needs of all people with hearing loss throughout the State of Florida, by providing information and educational support, public awareness and both legislative and public policy advocacy of issues related to assuring equal access, opportunity and protection for the quality of life of individuals with hearing loss.Our objectives are to:
- Monitor activity of regulatory agencies at the state and federal level;
- Monitor all legislative activities with regard to reform of existing Health Care regulations and provide input when opportunities arise to assure that Health Care reform issues and policies include the needs of people with hearing loss;
- Establish and maintain liaison with other state hearing loss organizations; work to assure quality representation of the Hearing Loss Association of Florida on the Florida Coordinating Council for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing and work in close conjunction with The Americans with Disabilities Working Group;
- Encourage consumer protection of individuals with hearing loss through advocacy efforts by monitoring legislation such as hearing aid regulations, truth in advertising , terminology such as audioprosthology, as well as other issues involving the hard of hearing consumer;
- Monitor and obtain representation to the Public Service Commission Committee which oversees the Florida Telecommunications Relay Systems.